Know Your Voting Rights

Read about your voting rights under the Help America Vote Act of 2002 and how to file a formal complaint if necessary. This is essential information for all voters, especially for Americans with disabilities.

Where do I go to vote?

Find the polling place for your address. Be sure to type in the address where you lived when you registered to vote. The resulting polling place is where you should go to vote even if you have since moved to a new address within the county.

Your polling place is not changed unless you notify your
county board of registrars in writing of your new address. For your vote to count, you must go to the polling place where you are currently registered to vote. There you can cast your ballot.

If you have moved to another Alabama county since you registered to vote, you must re-register at least 14 days before the election in which you wish to vote. See
voter registration information.

NOTE: Your polling place for city elections may be different than your polling place for county, state and federal elections. Contact your city clerk for information about local elections.

More about voting

What should I bring to the polls?

All Alabama voters are required to show PHOTO voter identification. Do you have an acceptable ID? Only specific types of ID are acceptable. A current valid Alabama driver's license is an acceptable form of voter id, but not all photo IDs are acceptable! Read the list of acceptable forms of voter identification. If you do not have one of these forms of ID, you may be eligible to obtain acceptable voter photo ID for free at your county Board of Registrar's, at an Alabama Photo Voter Identification Mobile ID Location, or at the Secretary of State's office in Montgomery.
Here is official information about the law from the Alabama Secretary of State's Office.
More about voting

Can I be denied the opportunity to vote?

No. However, in order to cast a conventional ballot at a polling place, your name must be found on the voter rolls there, and you must present current, valid identification. If these are not satisfactory, you still cannot be denied the right to vote. In such case, tell the poll worker that you want to cast a "provisional ballot." Your case will be reviewed after the polls close. Your vote will count provided that you are found to be a valid, registered voter for that polling place and provided that you present valid ID at the polls or within 3 days at the Board of Registrars. Please note that most provisional ballots are ultimately not counted, so try your best to cast a conventional ballot. If you have any doubt, double check with your county board of registrars to make sure that you are a registered voter and find out where you should go to vote. It is best to check on your registration status and polling place before election day. The phone lines can be very busy on election day, and you might not be able to get through!

More about voting

I might be out of town on election day. Can I still vote?

If you cannot go to your polling place to vote on election day, you can vote by mail or vote in person before election day in your county Circuit Clerk's office. This is called absentee voting. Absentee voting is only allowed under certain circumstances, however. It is the voting method used by military and overseas personnel, college students, the homebound, poll workers, and those with last minute business or health emergencies. Check out this absentee voting information from the AL Secretary of State to see if you are eligible and how to vote absentee.

Remember, you do have to apply for an absentee ballot, and your application must be received no later than five days before the election. Contact the Absentee Election Manager of your county (who is usually the county Circuit Clerk) if you have questions about absentee voting.

Apply for an Absentee Ballot.
Apply for an Emergency Absentee Ballot.

More about voting

I'm a college student and away from my home. Where should I go to vote?

You can vote in person in the precinct of your college residence. Just register to vote there. BUT if you want to vote in your hometown, and you're not going to be there on election day, it's not a problem. Just vote absentee! Get an absentee ballot application.

More about voting

I'm in the armed services / I'm an overseas citizen. Where can I get voting assistance?

If you are overseas and need assistance with absentee voting and registration, read this information provided by the AL Secretary of State or contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP). FVAP provides assistance to any U.S.citizen who:

* (1) is an active duty member of the Uniformed Services or eligible member of their family.
* (2) resides outside the United States.

Federal Voting Assistance Program
1155 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1155
703/588-1584 FAX: 703/588-0108
1-800/438-8683 (Toll Free)

More about voting

My question isn't answered here. Whom can I ask?
Contact one of the following:
County Board of Registrars
County Circuit Clerk (regarding absentee voting)
AL Secretary of State: or Elections Division website
Federal Voting Assistance Program (contact information above)
League of Women Voters